The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) has cleared the Deputy President William Ruto over the Hustler Jet Scandal from 2013.
The Office of the Deputy President had been accused of flouting procurement rules in the hiring of a private jet for DP William Ruto.
Seven years later, the EACC has cleared Ruto and his office and also disclosed that the amount that was under investigation was Ksh 18.6 million only.
DP Ruto had used the jet to tour Africa and campaign against the International Criminal Court (ICC) cases against him and President Uhuru Kenyatta.
The trips to Algeria, Nigeria, Gabon, Ghana and the Democratic Republic of Congo aboard a Bombardier 850 Challenger was estimated to have cost Ksh 100 million taxpayers money.
“Investigations revealed that no staff of the Office of the Deputy President (ODP) personally benefitted from the award of the tender to E-ADC Limited.
“There was no loss of public funds as the DP’s trip had been sanctioned by the President,” EACC said in a Gazette Notice published on Friday, January 22.
- Add Me Your Wife So That I Eat Her Too-Sudi Tells Cyprian Nyakundi
- MCAs Rejects Uhuru’s Choice Of Man To Lead BBI Campaigns
- Father Arrested For Stripping 14-Month Toddler To Burn Her In The Street
- Last Moments Of Lecturer Irene Jepchumba With Lover Before Dying
However, EACC acknowledged that some procurement laws were breached. Nonetheless, it said that this was occasioned by the urgency of the trip.
“It was practically impossible for the procurement to have met all the requirements of the Public Procurement and Disposal Act, 2005, within the time the travel was scheduled,” the report reads.
The commission also indicated that it wrote to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (ODPP)under Noordin Haji, recommending that the inquiry should be closed and no further investigations on the matter should commence.
The trip was widely publicised with opposition leaders criticising the government for wasting government resources.